Garsfontein’s Comeback Almost Good Enough

(Photo Credit: Mari vd Walt/Freestyle Pics)

What we believed to be another battle on the field between two renowned rugby schools in the VirsekerBeker lived up to all expectations. Even though Garsfontein had home ground advantage Monument was still the favourites to win the game.

From the kickoff, Garsfontein dominated most of the possession and territory but they could not make the scoreboard reflect it. Monnas drew first blood with Heiko Pohlmann scoring the first try of the match and Franco Hallet converting. Monnas yet again attacked from deep and Luan van der Walt crossed over the try line for a 5 pointer the conversion was good.

Garsfontein finally made the possession and territory count in their favour and scored 2 tries of their own. Franco Hallet converted a penalty to make the deficit 17-10 in favour of Monnas and Hallet maintained his 100% strike rate for the day. Just before half time, Reuben Barnard scored and Franco Hallet, unfortunately, struck the post for this first miss of the day. Monnas lead by 22-10 going into halftime.

The Garsfontein couches certainly spoke a couple off inspirational words at half time because they came back and scored 3 consecutive tries. With the fullback scoring an exceptional try that will certainly go down in the history books. With 14 min left on the clock, Garsfontein was leading for the first time 29 22.

Monnas had to dig deep to maintain composure when Garsfontein was throwing everything at them.

With the last couple of minutes remaining and the score level, Garsfontein conceded a penalty on the 10m line. Franco Hallet with a near perfect kicking success for the day slotted the penalty over to put Monnas back in the lead 32 29.

The kick-off had to take place and Monnas wanted to attack from deep. It nearly proofed to be costly because Garsfontein turned the ball over inside their own half. The pressure was now on Monnas to keep Garsfontein out. Monnas showed true Monnas guts to force a turnover and give Herchell Goodman the honours of putting the ball into the stands to ensure a Monnas win with a 32-29 final score.

A couple of Monnas players that have to be mentioned at this time was who was making tackles like it’s no one’s business as well as no 11 Ruben Barnard who scored a try of his own and was directly involved in Luan van der Walts try. The replacement hooker Brandan Beukes also made a huge impact on the game when he replaced Franco Prinsloo who unfortunately suffered from a concussion. Brandan really brought a calmness to Monnas’s lineouts with his pinpoint line out troughs and also his physicality in the scrums. He had a great game in the tight facets of the game and also swung the game in Monnas’s favour when he broke the line and gifted no14 KG Nyamande with a try to level the scores.

A couple of Garsfontein players that really caught the eye was the outside centre Deysel and the fullback Strydom who were devastating on the attack and really made it hard for Monnas on defence.

Monnas: Tries: Heiko Pohlmann, Luan van der Walt, Reuben Barnard, KG Nyamande Conversions: Franco Hallet (3) Penalties: Franco Hallet (2)

Garsfontein: Tries: AJ Johnson, D Deysel, Z Strydom Conversions: (2)

Article by: Tian Vorster


Please follow and like us: