The Green Machine In Great Form Against Kearsney

(Photo Credit: Jorina Raath/


On Saturday a 77-year rivalry continued when the Green Machine took on the One Stripes of Kearsney College, on their prestigious Founders Day. The crowd turned out in numbers as the teams took to the field. 

A wary opening to proceedings saw both sides struggling to get points on the board and Kearsney’s scrumhalf, Cade Carmichael missed an early penalty shot at goal. It was the hosts who ignited the Kearsney crowd through a moment of magic from centre Connor de Bruyn who found some space deep inside Glenwood’s 22m to score the first try of the match. The conversion was unsuccessful and Kearsney lead 0-5. 

Glenwood responded immediately from the kick-off, turning the ball over. After a couple of phases of sustained pressure, from 10 meters out Jordan Hendrikse offloaded to Sikholise Nanto who crashed over. Hendrikse converted and Glenwood took the lead 7-5. 

The Green Machine came out the firing blocks with another powerful surge up field. The strong ball carries from Nanto, Golden and Smit put Glenwood in a good attacking position, deep inside Kearsney’s 22. Nanto barged over to bag his brace. The conversion was successful, Glenwood lead 14-5. 

A moment of brilliance from fullback Steven Gibb produced Glenwood’s third try. Gibb sent his side away from just inside Kearsney’s half, Gib gathered and sprinted beating 3 defenders with some fancy footwork before diving across the try line for a blistering score. The conversion was good. Kearsney only managed a penalty from the boot of Carmichael. Glenwood going into the break at 21-8. 

Glenwood continued to show their attacking prowess in the second half, bagging their fourth try. Henk Gouws received an offload from Nanto, stopped just short of the line. The conversion was missed and Glenwood was running away with a 26-8 lead and 26 minutes to go.

Glenwood found themselves back inside Kearsney’s 22m, 5 minutes later. Quick ball from Steyn to the blindside where prop Kyle Erasmus muscled over in the corner. Hendrikse added the extra two points.

There was some joy for the hosts after a missed tackle next to the ruck allowed left winger Dudley to break inside and sprint through to score Kearsney’s second try. Carmichael converted.

With 5 minutes on the clock, the writing was on the wall. Kearsney kicked the ball away. Steyn reacted quickly and instead of kicking it back, he opted to run it out. He found Nanto on the right-wing bursting through a tackle, dummied the next defender and ran upfield, with one defender he passed to Carlo Cloete on his left who finished off a brilliant try. Hendrikse converted.

From the kick-off again, Glenwood ran it straight back into Kearsney’s 22m. With the ruck formed 5m out, Steyn released to Bani Holtshauzen who stepped and dived over. Hendrikse missed the conversion. The referee allowed one last play.
The spark ignited within the Green Machine as they managed to score another converted try at the death by Carlo Cloete with an immaculate 3 tries in 5 minutes. Incredible play by the Green Machine.

The final whistle blew, with Glenwood victorious on 52-15.

Glenwood: Tries: Sikholise Nanto (2), Steven Gibb, Henk Gouws, Kyle Erasmus, Carlo Cloete (2), Bani Holtshauzen Conversions: Jordan Hendrikse (6) Penalty: Hendrikse

Kearsney: Tries: C. de Bruyn, M, Dudley Conversions: C. Carmichael Penalties: C. Carmichael

Report by Alex van der Merwe


Please follow and like us: