Durbeez Comfortably Outmuscle Blackies

Man of the moment. Paul Roos flyhalf Kade Wolhuter is one of the keys to his side's chances of success at the current SANIX tournament in Japan.  (photo: Franna “Smiley” Lombard)

Hosts Durbanville made full use of the perfect warm, sunny conditions to run out 36-15 winners against Hugenote on Saturday 27 April 2019.

The Wellington side started strongly, driving the Durbanville forwards back from the kick-off, but a penalty allowed the hosts to clear to just short of halfway.

Durbanville quickly moved the ball out to left wing Will Vraagom, but the speedster was tackled into touch.  Despite a fine line-out take by Blackies’ no. 8 Janu Gous, his backs were caught in possession behind the gain line and then lost possession when a forward knocked on.

The Durbeez turned on the power to win a quick scrum, moving the ball quickly to full-back Patrick Kotze, who darted over to open the score. (Durbanville 5 Hugenote 0 - 6 minutes)

Hugenote managed to get within striking distance of their opponents’ line when impressive full-back Emile du Plessis found a great touch on the home 22-metre line.  The hosts were penalised for going offside at the ensuing ruck, allowing Du Plessis to slot the straightforward kick. (Durbanville 5 Hugenote 3 - 9 minutes).

The home pack started to exercise its superior cohesive power, driving their opponents back over their tryline from the kick-off but turned over possession when they couldn’t release the ball.  Blackie's flyhalf Freddie Mouers cleared the ball neatly, but the Durbeez forwards were in rampant mood, driving the ball back deep into Hugenote territory.

It came as no surprise when lively Durbanville no.8 William Moore popped up in the backline to scythe through midway out for his team’s second five-pointer.  Flyhalf Hanno van Biljon converted. (Durbanville 12 Hugenote 3 - 15 minutes)

When one of the hosts’ forwards was tackled in the air from the kick-off, Van Biljon found touch on the halfway line, from where a massive forward drive took play all the way up to the Hugenote 22, at which point lively Durbeez hooker Ronaldo Ismail broke clear to run in untouched.  Van Biljon stretched the lead to sixteen points. (Durbanville 19 Hugenote 3 - 17 minutes)

More driving play by the hosts’ loosehead Wiaan Schmidt and lock Vince van Dyk relieved the pressure on their line from the restart.  Their pack continued their impressive performance but were guilty of closing off the ball, allowing Du Plessis to force them back inside their 22-metre area.

The Blackies pack, at last, started to function in concert, driving to within a few metres of the home tryline.  After their progress had been thwarted several times, loosehead Anzo van Wyk managed to force his way over. (Durbanville 19 Hugenote 8 - 27 minutes)

Just when another fine run from Man of the Match Moore looked certain to increase the hosts’ tally, an unfortunate knock-on in the midfield saved the situation for the Boland side, who immediately turned attack into defence via an incisive 50 metre break by outside centre Aldert Mouton, who was brought down by Moore, who was covering.

Despite being shoved off the ball, the Blackies managed to keep possession twelve metres inside the home team’s territory and maintained the pressure thanks to a wild pass by the defence before their attack faltered due to a forward pass.

The Durbanville response was a fine break by Kotze, who fed Vraagom, who was in turn brought down on the Hugenote 22 metre line.  Hugenote turned over possession at the scrum and Ismail was on hand to register his second try of the game from the resultant rolling maul right on the half-time whistle. Half-time: Durbanville 24 Hugenote 8.

Blackie's flank Ulrich Fuls drove strongly from the restart, but found Moore steady in defence, freeing Kotze for a brief burst down the touchline.

Although the Hugenote pack was competing in the tight loose on an even footing at this stage, the passing amongst the Durbeez eight was proving difficult to contain and it took another relieving kick by Mouers and forceful play by Fuls to peg them back.

Durbanville launched another attack but found themselves having to scramble on defence when Blackies left wing Stewart Bruintjies put in a fine dart down the touchline.  An infringement at a ruck allowed Du Plessis to set up an attacking line-out, but his side ceded the advantage when referee Jaco Smith blew them up for not releasing the ball.

In turn, a great grubber by Van Biljon put his side firmly on the attack, nineteen metres from the Hugenote tryline.  Moore took the scrum ball before feeding it to the workhorse Schmidt who crashed over the whitewash. Van Biljon added the extras. (Durbanville 31 Hugenote 8 - 47 minutes)

The poor defensive organization then cost the visitors fifteen metres and a scrum, but Du Plessis managed to gain relief with a huge left-footed kick before Durbanville substitute back Tyrick Johannes put in a sizzling fifty-metre run, from which point his forwards drove play to within striking distance of the Blackies’ line.

Fortunately, Du Plessis came to the rescue yet again, gaining all of 55 metres when Durbanville was penalised a metre from the tryline.  A further penalty saw Du Plessis transfer play to the hosts’ 22-metre area.  This time his efforts were rewarded when lock Christiaan Langenhoven forced his way over near the corner flag. (Durbanville 31 Hugenote 15 - 61 minutes)

However, Du Plessis’ stoic resistance could only do so much and Van Biljon capitalised on an error to set up a line-out eight metres from the Blackies’ goal line.  The ball was quickly moved to the left where inside centre Corné Oliphant dotted down. (Durbanville 36 Hugenote 15 - 68 minutes)

The last two minutes saw determining attack by the boys from Wellington, but the local defence was up to the task. Final score: Durbanville 36 Hugenote 15.

Although it was a generally bleak day for Hugenote - their age-group sides took some serious punishment - their 1st XV put on a very creditable showing.  Despite being outgunned up front, they managed to assert themselves often enough to pose a threat to the opposition.  However, the backline was never really allowed to go up through the gears.

Durbanville looked very cohesive for a relatively small Premier B outfit.  The forwards needed no second invitation to get their hands dirty and the backs were always dangerous, although the loss of captain and outside centre Xander van der Westhuizen did cause a disruption later in proceedings.

The spirited crowd enjoyed the magnificent weather, both schools showing their full support for their heroes.  It was one of those days - indeed, one of those games - on which it was a pity someone had to lose.

Great camaraderie, eagerly contested well-officiated matches and a beautiful day at one of the loveliest grounds in the Western Cape.  What more could one ask for?

Article by: http://www.stoopstats.co.za/

Please follow and like us:
error: Content is protected !!